Search This Blog

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Taco Soup


Pardon the ghetto picture. I just really needed to capture this soup before I put the last of it in my lunch. This is straight from the fridge, so it looks thicker than the soup does when it's warm. Just use your imagination and picture the bowl steaming and slightly more soupy.

Taco Soup is an easy comfort food recipe we have a lot during the fall and winter. When we were making this I asked Kyle why we haven't had this forever, and he reminded me that summer happened. Warm, hearty soups are one reason I really love fall!

I usually never make this the same way twice, but I really like how this time turned out so I'm recording it to reference later. It was thicker than normal since I added tomato sauce for liquid instead of water. If you want a thinner soup, feel free to use water instead or in addition. This recipe is well suited for adaptation, so try it out with whatever kind of tomatoes and beans you have on hand!

We've done this in the slow cooker many times before with great success. If you use the ground beef, be sure to brown it before you stick it in the slow cooker. If you want minimal prep, you can skip the ground beef and just stick everything else in there in the morning.

How do you make taco soup?

Taco Soup
1/2 pound ground beef
1 onion diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
4 tablespoons good taco seasoning
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
1 can tomato sauce
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
6 oz frozen corn
1/2 small can jalapenos, diced


Topping
Pepper jack cheese
Sour cream
Tortilla chips

Brown the ground beef with the onions in a medium/large saucepan. Drain any fat. Add the garlic and taco seasoning and saute a few minutes until fragrant. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to boiling. If you want a thinner soup add water. Simmer until it reaches your desired consistency.  Serve with toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment