Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tuesdays With Dorie: White Loaves


So what exactly is Tuesdays With Dorie? It's a group of bakers that bake recipes together from a book by Dorie Greenspan, who is one of my favorite cookbook authors. In the past they did Baking: From My Home to Yours. I wish I had known about it then because I have that book and absolutely love it! Now they're baking through Baking with Julia: Savor the Joys of Baking with America's Best Bakers (Yes, that's Julie Child). I just bought this book and it looks great as well. Just flipping through the pages, it seems to have a basic recipe for everything you'd ever want to bake as well as a lot of fun recipes I never would have thought of. If you like baking, you should buy the book and bake along!

For some reason I've always been afraid of making sandwich bread. I don't know why, but I it's just seemed very intimidating. This recipe was not that hard though, probably because it had directions for using a stand mixer for the kneading. I sped these up a bit because I didn't have a ton of time before church to make them, so I did the first rise in the oven. I heated my oven to 150 and turned it off. I put the dough in there to rise with the door cracked open for about thirty minutes. I got a little distracted so it rose a little too much, but I just made the second rise shorter (20 minutes). 

The bread was delicious! Kyle and I finished off most of a loaf in just a few hours. It took a lot of self-control not to finish off the whole loaf! You can find the recipe at the TWD blog or better yet in the wonderful book!

7 comments:

  1. This was a nice, simple recipe to start off with. I think there are going to be quite a few challenges in our future, but I am looking forward to the adventure!
    Your loaves look like they came out well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah this one was simple, but good. I'm scared for the croissants, but I think it'll all be fun! Your loaves turned out great, too! I really like your idea about using them for grilled cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your loaves turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Yours look delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks! Luckily I don't think my messed up rising times impacted the final product too much. Although next time I'll try to get it right.

      Delete