Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tuesdays With Dorie: White Loaves


So what exactly is Tuesdays With Dorie? It's a group of bakers that bake recipes together from a book by Dorie Greenspan, who is one of my favorite cookbook authors. In the past they did Baking: From My Home to Yours. I wish I had known about it then because I have that book and absolutely love it! Now they're baking through Baking with Julia: Savor the Joys of Baking with America's Best Bakers (Yes, that's Julie Child). I just bought this book and it looks great as well. Just flipping through the pages, it seems to have a basic recipe for everything you'd ever want to bake as well as a lot of fun recipes I never would have thought of. If you like baking, you should buy the book and bake along!

For some reason I've always been afraid of making sandwich bread. I don't know why, but I it's just seemed very intimidating. This recipe was not that hard though, probably because it had directions for using a stand mixer for the kneading. I sped these up a bit because I didn't have a ton of time before church to make them, so I did the first rise in the oven. I heated my oven to 150 and turned it off. I put the dough in there to rise with the door cracked open for about thirty minutes. I got a little distracted so it rose a little too much, but I just made the second rise shorter (20 minutes). 

The bread was delicious! Kyle and I finished off most of a loaf in just a few hours. It took a lot of self-control not to finish off the whole loaf! You can find the recipe at the TWD blog or better yet in the wonderful book!

7 comments:

  1. This was a nice, simple recipe to start off with. I think there are going to be quite a few challenges in our future, but I am looking forward to the adventure!
    Your loaves look like they came out well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah this one was simple, but good. I'm scared for the croissants, but I think it'll all be fun! Your loaves turned out great, too! I really like your idea about using them for grilled cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Yours look delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! Luckily I don't think my messed up rising times impacted the final product too much. Although next time I'll try to get it right.

      Delete